My First Arna Anthotypes

I’ve been itching to get started on printing some Anthotypes: photographic prints made with dye extracted from plants. It’s an interesting challenge because here in southern Sweden, at this time of year, flowers and sunlight are not in great supply! Kerstin had some tulips in a vase that she was going to throw away but then she remembered me. I managed to extract enough colour to coat two small sheets of paper… 

  
 I chose paper from an old book about Swedish flowers and a piece of Matt inkjet printing card. The tulips were a mauve-purple colour. As I expected, the colours dried quiet differently.

  
Luckily for me, the weather today is bright and sparkling: perfect for Anthotypes. Rather than make a transparency, I decided to use some scraps of Swedish handmade lace and embroidered cotton (thanks again Kerstin!) 

  I wonder who made these pieces?

 Of course, the frames are from IKEA! Now they’re sitting in the window of my studio. Over the next weeks, I’ll place them at different windows in Arnold’s house, so they will be able to bask in as much available sunlight as possible. Tulips give quite fast results, so I’m hoping that in two or three weeks, I may have some Anthotypes to share.

 
For more information about the Anthotype process see here 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s